I’m always searching for savory dishes, and experimenting with the ingredients I had on hand one day, I decided to combine chicken with a mix of mediterranean flavors and add juicy plums. The result was just scrumptious. This dish makes a nice special occasion dinner but it can easily serve as a hearty family dinner. You can also take this dish in a slightly different direction by adding a teaspoon of maple syrup to the plum mixture before topping the chicken, but I find the sweetness overpowers the mediterranean mix of spices used in this chicken recipe. This Mediterranean Plum chicken will definitely wake up your palate.
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 small onion (sweeter version like Vidalia preferred)
- 1 cup pitted plums
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1. Wash and dry chicken breasts, cut each one in half, as smaller pieces will cook faster. Set aside.
2. Whisk one egg in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix flour, cumin, paprika, garlic powder and salt.
3. Preheat the oven to 375F.
4. Heat up a medium size pan and add a tbsp of olive oil.
5. Dip each chicken breast in the egg first, then in the flour mixture, place on the skillet.
6. Brown chicken lightly on each side without cooking through, then turn on the other side and brown it.
7. Place chicken on the baking pan in the 375F oven and bake for 40 minutes.
8. Once chicken is in the oven, add 1 fine chopped onion to the heated pan with a bit of olive oil. Brown lightly, add 1 tsp brown sugar, 1 tsp salt and pitted plums.
9. Place a scoop of the plums on top of each chicken breast (this should be about 15 minutes into cooking the chicken). Continue baking the chicken until ready. Enjoy!