This is yet another take at the pork chops with apples combination which is an easy-going duo. One of my kids is extremely picky but the sweet and savory nature of this dish is a winner – I slice it thin for the little ones. Garlic and onions add the zest and cinnamon and apple bring out the natural sweetness in these pork chops. Quick to make, you’ll never want pork chops any other way!
- Thick-cut boneless pork chops
- 1 medium yellow or white onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 medium semi-sweet apple (jazz)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dry thyme
- 1 tbsp coarse salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Slice the onion into thin slices and quarter each (cross-cut after slicing). Mince garlic cloves. Peel and cube the apple.
3. Heat an oven-safe pan, add sesame & olive oil, then add the onion to brown. Season with garlic powder & paprika, stir.
4. Add garlic and apple to the pan, lower the heat, stir in the brown sugar and salt.
5. Wash & pat dry the pork chops. Season on both sides with garlic powder, paprika, thyme, salt and cinnamon. Go easy on the cinnamon – it’s a strong spice.
6. Push the apple onion mixture aside (or to a separate plate) and add the pork chops to the pan. Sear the side for 2-3 minutes, flip to sear the other side and place half of the apple onion mixture on top, evenly for each chop. Sear for another few minutes.
7. Flip the pork chops over again being careful to get the apple onion mixture right under. Place the remaining apples over each chop and take off the heat immediately.
8. Place the pan in the oven at 350 for about 12 minutes or until the thermometer shows medium rare. Let sit for 5 minutes for the juiciest pork chops.