A favorite in many Eastern European kitchens, this chicken casserole is easy and tastes like the garden. They will be asking for more before you know it!
- 1 large onion
- 1 small box of mushrooms (6-8 mushrooms)
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 package of boneless chicken breasts (4-5 pieces)
- A bunch of fresh dill (you can use dry dill but it doesn’t taste the same)
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. Heat a little olive oil in a deep large pan on medium heat.
2. Chop the onion and start browning on the pan.
3. Cut up the mushrooms in 1″ pieces and add to the onion, stir and continue cooking.
4. Peal and dice potatoes into 1″ pieces and add to the onion and mushrooms. Add salt and pepper. Stir and continue cooking. Careful not to burn the onion; lower the heat if necessary.
5. Cut the chicken into 2″ pieces and add into the pan.
6. Cook stirring frequently, about 10 minutes.
7. Chop a bunch of fresh dill and add to the pan along with a ½ cup of sour cream. Add a little more salt, to balance off sour cream.
8. Cook for another 3-5 minutes.
You can also skip mixing in the chicken and then this dish can make an excellent side dish. It goes really well with chicken and beef as well (try CafeYak Beef Cutlets). And if you are not a fan of sour cream, try this recipe and you will see how well it balances a salty meal, or replace it with a plain yogurt.